‘Chess Club’ brings online chess to Oculus Quest on July 1, trailer here – Road to VR
Chess exploded in popularity recently, with the Netflix series The Queen’s Bet bringing a lot of attention to the age-old strategy game. Now Odders Lab, the studio behind the VR rhythm game OhShape (2019), is about to release his next title chess club for Oculus Quest, which brings an immersive touch to the game.
chess club is set to be the first on the Oculus Store for Quest to exclusively feature online chess, and will reportedly feature a number of game modes with AI or online competitors, ranging from classic chess to immersive combat animations Holochess-style. It will launch tomorrow, July 1. You can find the store page here.
The game supports both touch controllers and hand tracking, so you’ll be able to pick up coins naturally for those long, thoughtful matches. Check out the feature set below:
Characteristics of chess clubs
- Play against a friend or the AI
- Avatars and voice IP in online multiplayer
- Casual and rated matches
- Track your movement history during a match
- Different time rules (bullet, blitz, real time, asynchronous)
- 2 environments and sets: Grand Palace and Stonehenge
- Battle animations and sound effects
- Both hand and touch tracking controllers are supported!