Thompson’s Opera House hosts western singer-songwriter Juni Fisher on May 14
Live music returns to the Thompson Opera House at 7 p.m., Saturday, May 14, with Western singer, musician and storyteller Juni Fisher. Fisher has received numerous awards from the Western Music Association, from 2005 to present, and was named True West Magazine’s Top Solo Artist in 2012 and 2017.
Tickets are $20 per person and can be purchased in advance through Venmo @Leslie-Derkovitz.
“Juni has the unique ability to write music in a compelling way that has you hooked, wanting to hear more,” Thompson’s Opera House said in a press release. “She writes about people, animals and relatable life situations. Passionate about riding for much of her life, she often writes about her love of animals, touching your heart.
Fisher grew up on a farm and, while attending college, began his career working with horses. After graduating, she trained cow horses for various ranch needs and competitions. During her equestrian career, she found herself next to many campfires and always had her guitar. Fisher’s love of music, animals, and people makes her a natural talent for Western music and songwriting. She moved to Tennessee and gained attention as a professional “whipper-in” with a fox hunting club and there she honed her writing skills to become one of Nashville’s top writers.
Thompson’s Opera House, originally built by Aleck Brown and known as Brown’s Hall, opened in 1873 at the height of Pioche’s mining boom. It was purchased in 1891 by Arthur S. Thompson and renamed Thompson’s Opera House. Arthur died in 1905, but his sons Charles and Frank took over the Opera House, continuing renovations and increasing its use. The Opera House has had a variety of uses over the years, including musical and theatrical performances, community gatherings, a movie theater and a dance hall. Lincoln County took ownership of the Opera House in 1991 and renovated the building through a series of grants. The opera house was listed on the Nevada National Register of Historic Places and reopened to the public in 2009.